Friday, April 5, 2024

The Value of a Reader's Perspective



Dear Amazing Reader,

If you've followed this blog for any length of time, you know that I value readers. Not only do I value them; I treasure them. As I often say, a writer is nothing without a reader. 

So, today I want to talk about a few reasons that a reader is so important to a writer. 

1) The Reader is the other side of the Writer/Reader coin. A coin has two sides that cannot be separated and still make a coin. The same is true of the Reader-Writer relationship. A writer needs a reader, and a reader needs a writer. Plain and simple.

2) The Reader gives the Writer purpose. Why would I write if I didn't have readers? Why would a reader read if she didn't have something to read? Basic logic, right?

3) The Reader sees things that the Writer doesn't see. If you read last week's post on The Function of a Beta Reader, you'll better understand what I mean. I can't tell you how many times a reader has seen something in my book—whether it be a theme, an insight, or a character interpretation—that was never in my head when I wrote the story. :) I love this about readers. They bring a fresh perspective to every story I write.

4) The Reader co-creates with the Writer. This is the perfect segue from point 3 and is my favorite part about the Reader-Writer relationship. My reader actually co-creates with me in writing the story.

What do I mean? Well, consider this: When I write the story and you read the story, we picture the main character in two different ways. Even though I may describe the character in detail, your picture of her in your mind's eye is different from my picture of her in my mind's eye.

The same is true with setting. I may describe the 19th-century Italian parlor that I see in my mind, but it will be totally different from the 19th-century Italian parlor that you see in your mind.  To me, this original perspective on each of our parts is fascinating and is what makes me say that you as the Reader and I as the Writer write the story together. :)

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this Reader-Writer co-creative process? Do you agree? Disagree? Question? Have a different perspective? Please share your thoughts with me and with your fellow Readers.

And thanks for being such a valuable part of my Reader Team!


Love and Blessings,

MaryAnn

P.S. Stay tuned for my upcoming Goodreads Giveaway to begin on April 10th and to end on May 9th. I will be giving away 100 e-book copies of my popular romance titled In Black and White. It is the story of a white woman, a black man, and their forbidden love.

Please tell your fiction-reading friends about this Giveaway. Thanks! :)

P.P.S. As an update to an earlier post on How Important Is a Book Title?
and thanks to my Reader Team, I've chosen a title for Book 3 in The Wives of Old Cape May series. It is The Farmer and Mrs. Lombardi. This title follows the pattern of the first two books in the series, The Captain and Mrs. Vye and The Rabbi and Mrs. Goldstein.

Thanks to all of you who offered title suggestions. I've saved them to a folder and, Lord willing, may use some of them for a future story.



Featured Book for This Week . . . 
 
Miracle in Milan (Contemporary Romantic Suspense)

A young female auditor discovers convincing evidence that the man she loves is an embezzler . . . 

PRINT:

E-BOOK





My Fiction Pick for the Week . . . 

Women of Hope: Three Novel Collection by Robin Lee Hatcher

Available in E-BOOK Format Only






_________________________________________________
Copyright 2024 by MaryAnn Diorio, PhD. All Rights Reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What Fiction Writers Want from Fiction Readers

by MaryAnn Diorio, PhD, MFA Last week, we explored what fiction readers want from fiction writers. This week, we're going to explore wha...